Walking in Port-Louis the other day, I heard people speaking creole, french and english and this led me to start thinking … how many computer languages do I speak?
Just a couple I thought but as soon as I started counting, I ran out of fingers. So chronologically, these are all the languages I learnt (but that does not mean I remember all of them):
- DBase IV : my introductory programming language, big white characters on a blue screen
- FoxPro : the follow up to dbase. No more blue screens; now I have a windows based environment
- Centura : an OODBMS, learnt that while on placement at DCDM before coming to uni … what the hell is OO???
- C : oooohhhh a must for all so called computer scientists, feel the raw power on the machine – looks like I’m sitting on the registers
- C++: the normal follow up to C – C plus plus some features; my favourite these days
- SQL: if u r into databases,…
- Java: the defacto OO language these days, according to Paul Graham, it won’t last long
- VB : nice for interfaces and … that’s it
- VB Script : shame on me I learnt that
- Prolog / LISP: the AI languages, LISP is full of brakets but if you know how to use it, it’s awesome
- ActionScript : yooooooooooo – rocks and great for customizing Flash
- ASP, JSP, PHP : the server side languages – I’m more into PHP now but I enjoyed JSP … no comments for ASP
- HTML, VRML : takes a minute to learn
- Smalltalk: only recently discovered, old is gold
- Python : careful, it does not bite or sting or … quite the contrary it’s a very nice language
- Shell scripting : cool for being lazy on linux and laziness is an art for programmers
Well that seems a lot (21) at first sight but that’s normal for programers these days I think. You need to have the right tools for the job and the tools of the programmer r programming languages. Else as Avinash says “Kan ou ena zis marto, tou zafer resembler koulou!” (Translation: “When all u have is a hammer,everything looks like nails to u!”) and we are not in a nails world!
So I still want and need to learn more; for instance I need to learn AJAX and I’ve just started with POVRAY. So how many languages do you speak?